Re: generic assembly language available?

"ChokSheak Lau" <choksheak@yahoo.com>
14 Jul 2004 14:32:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? gopi@sankhya.com (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? phil@ultimate.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? arnold@skeeve.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? gergoe@math.bme.hu (2004-07-17)
Re: generic assembly language available? bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2004-08-09)
Re: generic assembly language available? jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2004-08-23)
Re: generic assembly language available? brown@cs.bris.ac.uk (Julian Brown) (2004-08-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "ChokSheak Lau" <choksheak@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jul 2004 14:32:04 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Jul 2004 14:32:04 EDT

hi Gopi,

I think what you have is the closest to what I am looking for
(except it is not freeware), anyway, i am not sure whether the
idea of having a generic low-level language (much much lower
than C) is possible at all or not.

chok

"Gopi Bulusu" <gopi@sankhya.com> wrote in message
> > My guess is that no such generic assembly language exists today.
> > Please email me to let me know I'm wrong. Thanks.
>
> Depends on what qualifies as generic assembly language. Most compilers
> emit intermediate code that is then processed by a code generator to
> create the final assembly code for a specific processor.
>
> If we defined generic assembly language as a human readable
> intermediate code, I believe there will still be many languages out
> there.
>
> One of our research projects uses a very high-level intermediate code
> that is both intuitive for humans to use and can be processed by a
> code generator to generate the final assembly code for a particular
> processor.
>
> Some more information is available here:
>
> http://www.sankhya.com/info/products/tools/dttf.html
[See if you can find info about LIL, a little low level implementation
language built at Bell Labs in the 1970s. It worked fine, but they
found that anything it could do, C could do just as well so there was
no point. -John]