Re: generic assembly language available?

gopi@sankhya.com (Gopi Bulusu)
14 Jul 2004 12:09:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? gopi@sankhya.com (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? phil@ultimate.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? arnold@skeeve.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? gergoe@math.bme.hu (2004-07-17)
Re: generic assembly language available? bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2004-08-09)
Re: generic assembly language available? jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2004-08-23)

From: gopi@sankhya.com (Gopi Bulusu)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jul 2004 12:09:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Jul 2004 12:09:14 EDT

> My guess is that no such generic assembly language exists today.
> Please email me to let me know I'm wrong. Thanks.

Depends on what qualifies as generic assembly language. Most compilers
emit intermediate code that is then processed by a code generator to
create the final assembly code for a specific processor.

If we defined generic assembly language as a human readable
intermediate code, I believe there will still be many languages out
there.

One of our research projects uses a very high-level intermediate code
that is both intuitive for humans to use and can be processed by a
code generator to generate the final assembly code for a particular
processor.

Some more information is available here:

  http://www.sankhya.com/info/products/tools/dttf.html

Thanks,
gopi

---

Gopi Kumar Bulusu
Sankhya Technologies Private Limited
http://www.sankhya.com
Tel: +91 891 554 2666
Fax: +91 891 554 2665
[There have been some attempts at standards for assembly language like
IEEE 694-1985 twenty years ago. But I don't see any way to abstract
out the differences in the underlying machines short of putting a code
generator into the assembler which kind of defeats the purpose. -John]