generic assembly language available?

"ChokSheak Lau" <choksheak@yahoo.com>
13 Jul 2004 12:08:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-07-13)
Re: generic assembly language available? gopi@sankhya.com (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? choksheak@yahoo.com (ChokSheak Lau) (2004-07-14)
Re: generic assembly language available? phil@ultimate.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? arnold@skeeve.com (2004-07-15)
Re: generic assembly language available? gergoe@math.bme.hu (2004-07-17)

From: "ChokSheak Lau" <choksheak@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 2004 12:08:27 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Jul 2004 12:08:27 EDT

Hi all,

I get a feeling that gcc RTL seems to be the most generic kind of
intermediate code that exists today. I am interested in playing with
some kind of generic assembly language, or writing it, so that when we
write a compiler to target that language, the code generator will take
care of the rest. The thing about RTL is that it is not very human
friendly, like real asm code.

The closest analogy to what I am talking about is the Parrot language,
which is the interpreter engine for Perl 6. of cos, that could not be
easily converted into machine code because it was not designed to do
that.

My guess is that no such generic assembly language exists today.
Please email me to let me know I'm wrong. Thanks.

chok