Re: Introspection/Reflection

Francois-Rene Rideau <fare+NO@SPAM.tunes.org>
1 Dec 1999 23:43:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Introspection/Reflection jandk@easynet.co.uk (Jonathan Barker) (1999-11-20)
Re: Introspection/Reflection Basile.Starynkevitch@wanadoo.fr (Basile STARYNKEVITCH) (1999-11-21)
Re: Introspection/Reflection adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-23)
Re: Introspection/Reflection chstapfer@bluewin.ch (Christian Stapfer) (1999-11-25)
Re: Introspection/Reflection fare+NO@SPAM.tunes.org (Francois-Rene Rideau) (1999-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Francois-Rene Rideau <fare+NO@SPAM.tunes.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Dec 1999 23:43:09 -0500

I've written (as I shouldn't have) a long reply to the recent thread
on Reflection that had a few flames about my page
                http://www.tunes.org/Review/Reflection.html

Since the message is too long and mostly off-topic, I posted it
directly to review@tunes.org and thread participants, extracting the
on-topic material in this post. I hope it was the Right Thing(tm) to
do. The full message can be found on the web at
                http://lists.tunes.org/list/review/9911/msg00002.html

Short summary: indeed the page had many shortcomings; I've just
revamped it, and hope it's better; constructive criticism
welcome. Additional chatter. A few ramblings on what a reflective
system would be like.

My message includes on topic question: are there known papers on
"reversible compilation", a technique whereby code can be efficiently
decompiled, allowing for reification of computation state that can be
saved/migrated/analyzed/etc.

> [I think I'll let you guys slug it out in private mail now. -John]

For those interested in the topic, may I suggest the various
mailing-lists hosted at tunes.org as a suitable place to discuss
reflection? Criticism of the page and suggestion of new material is
welcome on review@, while discussion of reflective system designs can
be done in tunes@, and general philosophical ramblings are is fit for
cybernethics@.

A list of mailing-lists and web interface to their archives is at
http://lists.tunes.org/cgi-bin/wilma
Please note that not all mailing-lists archived there depend from the TUNES
project; for instance, we have web archives of the gclist and virtmach
mailing-lists that spawned off comp.compilers.

I hope this message puts a useful end to this thread here.
Best regards,

[ "Faré" | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project! http://www.tunes.org/ ]
[ FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient System ]