Introspection/Reflection

"Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
20 Nov 1999 22:37:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Introspection/Reflection jandk@easynet.co.uk (Jonathan Barker) (1999-11-20)
Re: Introspection/Reflection Basile.Starynkevitch@wanadoo.fr (Basile STARYNKEVITCH) (1999-11-21)
Re: Introspection/Reflection adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-23)
Re: Introspection/Reflection chstapfer@bluewin.ch (Christian Stapfer) (1999-11-25)
Re: Introspection/Reflection fare+NO@SPAM.tunes.org (Francois-Rene Rideau) (1999-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Nov 1999 22:37:52 -0500

Hi all.

Can anyone provide me with pointers to work on a theoretical
framework for 'reflection' and 'introspection'?

To clarify this question:

1. Smalltalk is an example of a language which implements
      the concepts in which I am interested - it exposes
      the entire compiler to the runtime enviroment.

2. Java (with its introspection classes) is an example
      of an implementation which is not particularly
      interesting from this point of view.

3. This is not a question about implementation - I am
      interested in an abstract framework.

It is obviously pretty easy to find lots of information on particular
examples (such as Smalltalk and Lisp). However, I was hoping that
someone might have thought about this in a more abstract way.

Thanks

Jonathan