gawk memory leak [was Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS]

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins)
2 Apr 1997 16:10:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS toplas@cs.umd.edu (1997-03-31)
gawk memory leak [was Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (1997-04-02)
Re: gawk memory leak albaugh@agames.com (1997-04-03)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak max@gac.edu (Max Hailperin) (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak hbaker@netcom.com (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak cyber_surfer@wildcard.demon.co.uk (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-07)

From: arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Apr 1997 16:10:23 -0500

>(did you know gawk 3.0 has a horrible memory leak that caused us to
> revert to gawk 2.1 in order to use Andrew's TOPLAS database software?)

This is true of gawk 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. Gawk 3.0.0 does not have the
leak, although alas, it's not on the main GNU ftp server anymore.

The good news is that I have fixed the leak in my development version,
and gawk 3.0.3 is in pre-test now. I hope to make a general beta
release soon (something I haven't done before, it'll be an
experiment). Bill: Feel free to contact me for access to the
development version to get your TOPLAS database going again.

Ob. comp.compilers note. This memory leak stuff has thoroughly
convinced me of the beauty of purify, as much as I otherwise really
dislike software patents. It has also convinced me that automatic
garbage collection a la Java is a Good Thing. :-)
--
Arnold Robbins -- guest account at Emory Math/CS
Email: arnold@gnu.ai.mit.edu