Re: Is it just me or...

amoroso@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso)
22 Feb 1997 23:10:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is it just me or... kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (1997-01-29)
Re: Is it just me or... tim@novelty.demon.co.uk (Tim Roberts) (1997-01-30)
Re: Is it just me or... baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.com (1997-02-07)
Re: Is it just me or... andrei@iastate.edu (1997-02-08)
Re: Is it just me or... cdc@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Carl Cerecke) (1997-02-11)
Re: Is it just me or... 100440.2732@CompuServe.COM (Robert Taylor) (1997-02-16)
Re: Is it just me or... amoroso@mclink.it (1997-02-22)
Re: Is it just me or... topher@vivid.com (1997-03-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: amoroso@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Feb 1997 23:10:52 -0500

On 16 Feb 1997 23:20:56 -0500, Robert Taylor <100440.2732@CompuServe.COM>
wrote:

> suppose is not in your favour. In the past I have tried to find
> books that discuss & contain source code for creating a compiler
> that produces 8086 assembler as the the target code but have only
> found one book - "A Retargetable C Compiler". It seems to me that

You may have a look at the following books:

"Writing Compilers & Interpreters - An Applied Approach"
Ronald Mak
John Wiley & Sons, Inc. - 1991
ISBN 0-471-50968-X

"A Compiler Writer's Toolbox -
How to Implement Interactive Compilers for PCs Using
Turbo Pascal"
Paul Cockshott
Ellis Horwood, Ltd. - 1990
ISBN 0-13-173782-1 (Library Edition)
0-13-173790-2 (Student Edition)

The former illustrates, among other tools (i.e. a syntax checker, a
pretty printer, an interpreter with interactive debugger, etc.), a
compiler for a subset of Pascal written in C. The IDE described in the
latter book is written in Turbo Pascal and features Persistent
S-algol, a dialect of Algol, as its source language. Both compilers
generate 8086 assembly code.

The book by Cockshott is interesting and, in a way, unusual among
compiler texts. If I remember well it illustrates, for example, the
implementation of a persistent heap. The only problem with the book is
that it's plagued with typos.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it>
[There's a very unfavorable review of Mak's book in the FAQ, saying among