Re: Is it just me or...

Robert Taylor <100440.2732@CompuServe.COM>
16 Feb 1997 23:20:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is it just me or... preston@tera.com (1997-01-26)
Re: Is it just me or... kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (1997-01-29)
Re: Is it just me or... tim@novelty.demon.co.uk (Tim Roberts) (1997-01-30)
Re: Is it just me or... baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.com (1997-02-07)
Re: Is it just me or... andrei@iastate.edu (1997-02-08)
Re: Is it just me or... cdc@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Carl Cerecke) (1997-02-11)
Re: Is it just me or... 100440.2732@CompuServe.COM (Robert Taylor) (1997-02-16)
Re: Is it just me or... amoroso@mclink.it (1997-02-22)
Re: Is it just me or... topher@vivid.com (1997-03-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Taylor <100440.2732@CompuServe.COM>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1997 23:20:56 -0500

I've also had the same problems in finding good compiler books -
don't worry it's not just you !! one of the better books on the
market is "Introduction to compiling Techniques - a first course
using ansi c, lex & yacc" by J.P. Bennett, McGraw-Hill. This book
is not for maths wizards & is aimed at the average practical
working programmer. However the book does contain source code (in
'C', lex & yacc) for a hypathetical target machine which I
suppose is not in your favour. In the past I have tried to find
books that discuss & contain source code for creating a compiler
that produces 8086 assembler as the the target code but have only
found one book - "A Retargetable C Compiler". It seems to me that
alot of the authors of these books are careful in how much
information they will provide. This may be the
reason why we never see any books that provide "real" compiler
source code for "real" machines simply because it's a
competitive business ??? - Hope the info helps.

Rob.

--

Rob
kbyec@westminster.ac.uk