Re: APL compilers?

marcelor@acs.bu.edu (Marcelo Rodrigues)
7 Feb 1997 23:37:04 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
APL compilers? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1997-02-02)
Re: APL compilers? wclodius@lanl.gov (William Clodius) (1997-02-03)
Re: APL compilers? rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1997-02-03)
Re: APL compilers? marcelor@acs.bu.edu (1997-02-07)
Re: APL compilers? greg@kai.com (Greg Jaxon) (1997-02-22)
Re: APL compilers? clc5q@cs.virginia.edu (Clark L. Coleman) (1997-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: marcelor@acs.bu.edu (Marcelo Rodrigues)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Feb 1997 23:37:04 -0500

ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>I've recently mentioned this "R" language whose compiler is a student
>project that I'm going to be supervising. There are obviously lessons
>to be learned from compilers for
> Matlab-like languages
> APL-like languages
>I _have_ done a Web scan for information about APL compilers, but found
>only a couple of references. There are a couple of things I vaguely
>remember reading that certainly weren't on the list.
>
>Has anyone got a bibliography on compilers for *dynamic* APL-like
>languages? Has anyone got any *documented* compilers they'd be
>willing to let us look at? Any papers on-line?

  - Tim Budd has published a book describing an APL compiler.
        (Timothy Budd, An APL Compiler, Springer-Verlag 1988)

  - There are two APL compiler projects I know of but I doubt
        the authors will have you a look. One is Robert Bernecky's
        (bernecky@eecg.toronto.edu.) The other is an APL2 compiler
          by someone at IBM whose name I forgot at the moment.
        (E-mail me if you really need it, I'll try to remember.)

  - There is an APL to C translator by Dmitri Gusev (dgusev@sms.ccas.msk.su)
        and others that was described in APL 94 ( ACM )

  - For MATLAB there is MATCOM which was initially a free translator to
      to C++ for that language but has now gone commercial. Perhaps the
      manager for that project (yak@techunix.technion.ac.il) might be willing
      to discuss it.