Re: C front-end advice sought

Lars Thomas Hansen <lth@ccs.neu.edu>
20 Dec 1996 17:13:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C front-end advice sought xis@gps.caltech.edu (1996-12-18)
Re: C front-end advice sought lth@ccs.neu.edu (Lars Thomas Hansen) (1996-12-20)
Re: C front-end advice sought kadhim@cs.colorado.edu (1996-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lars Thomas Hansen <lth@ccs.neu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 1996 17:13:23 -0500

>We are about to begin a project to build a tool that translates an
>ANSI C program annotated with pragmas into an ANSI C program with
>calls to a library (implementing the functionality of the pragmas).
>We are looking to build on some kind of front-end that parses ANSI C
>and builds a symbol table and (maybe or maybe not) a parse tree.

I recommend that you take a good look at the Princeton/AT&T C compiler
'lcc'; I've used it for a project not unlike what you mention and it
worked very well. It's small, very clean, and best of all, it is
utterly documented in a book by Fraser and Hanson, "A retargetable C
compiler: design and implementation". lcc is available from the
princeton ftp site.

--lars