C front-end advice sought

xis@gps.caltech.edu (Xi Song)
18 Dec 1996 00:11:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C front-end advice sought xis@gps.caltech.edu (1996-12-18)
Re: C front-end advice sought lth@ccs.neu.edu (Lars Thomas Hansen) (1996-12-20)
Re: C front-end advice sought kadhim@cs.colorado.edu (1996-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: xis@gps.caltech.edu (Xi Song)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Dec 1996 00:11:46 -0500

Hi,

We are about to begin a project to build a tool that translates an
ANSI C program annotated with pragmas into an ANSI C program with
calls to a library (implementing the functionality of the pragmas).
We are looking to build on some kind of front-end that parses ANSI C
and builds a symbol table and (maybe or maybe not) a parse tree. One
possibility that we are considering is starting with gcc and stripping
it down to a front-end. Another possibility is to use ctree. We
would consider any other possibility as well. What is important to us
is: (i) the front-end must be for standard ANSI C, (ii) it must be
reliable and robust, (iii) it should be easy to understand, work with,
and extend, and (iv) small is better than large. We would consider
both freely available tools and commercial packages.

We would very much appreciate opinions on the suitability of gcc and
ctree for this project, or suggestions on other possibilities.

Thanks very much,

Xi Song