Re: References to "History of Compilers"

kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (James Kanze US/ESC 60/3/141 #40763)
27 Aug 1996 23:52:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
References to "History of Compilers?" collberg@cs.auckland.ac.nz (1996-08-19)
Re: References to "History of Compilers" rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1996-08-20)
Re: References to "History of Compilers" neitzel@gaertner.de (1996-08-24)
Re: References to "History of Compilers" kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (1996-08-27)
Re: References to "History of Compilers" albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh) (1996-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (James Kanze US/ESC 60/3/141 #40763)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Aug 1996 23:52:00 -0400

The moderator writes:

|> [I thought Autocoder was the assembler for the 1401. -John]

The 1401 had something called autocoder, but I don't think that it was
really an assembler. My impression was that an assembler could handle
some forms of symbolic addressing, whereas an autocoder couldn't. (My
impression could easily be wrong. It's been a long time since I last
programmed a 1401. And as it wasn't professionally, and I wasn't
working in computer science at the time, I wasn't paying too much
attention to the terminology.)
--
James Kanze Tel.: (+33) 88 14 49 00 email: kanze@gabi-soft.fr
GABI Software, Sarl., 8 rue des Francs-Bourgeois, F-67000 Strasbourg, France