Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture.

Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
1 Jul 1996 22:39:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. khays@sequent.com (1996-06-26)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. bill.williams@gecm.com (1996-06-27)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-06-30)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. paik@3dfx.com (1996-07-01)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-07-01)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. brian@watcom.on.ca (1996-07-01)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan) (1996-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jul 1996 22:39:06 -0400

>I would like gcc and g++ on an Intel 386 but with a segmented architecture
>i.e. pointers are 48 bits (a segment (DS/ES/FS/GS) and a base/index/offset).
>[GCC believes very strongly that its target machine has a flat address space.
>It may be doable, but it'd be a huge project. I've never seen a C compiler
>that did 386 large model. Are there any? -John]

I know of gcc ports to segmented architectures; the z8000 is one of those, I
believe.

For the 386, there is, however, no real point -- the 386 (and later, of
course) only handle 32-bits worth of memory. The segments take
segment:offset and translate it to a logical memory address (32-bits worth),
and then pass that off to the MMU. It is not possible, as a result, to have
multiple 4Gbyte segments in the machine, and each segment that you *would*
have would have to be restricted to a contiguous real address space. If it
were possible to associate pages with a segment identifer, then, well,
things would be quite different ;).