GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture.

mgcd@QSof01.alcbel.be (Martin G C Davies)
24 Jun 1996 11:03:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. mgcd@QSof01.alcbel.be (1996-06-24)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (1996-06-24)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dennis@netcom.com (1996-06-26)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. khays@sequent.com (1996-06-26)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. bill.williams@gecm.com (1996-06-27)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-06-30)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. paik@3dfx.com (1996-07-01)

From: mgcd@QSof01.alcbel.be (Martin G C Davies)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jun 1996 11:03:13 -0400

I have asked the question below in gnu groups but got no reply so am posting
here in case someone has been tried before who no longer looks at those
group.

The delivered GNU gcc/g++ 386 support only works in a flat architecure i.e.
pointers are 32bit (just a base/index/offset) so DS is always used as the
segment.

I would like gcc and g++ on an Intel 386 but with a segmented architecture
i.e. pointers are 48 bits (a segment (DS/ES/FS/GS) and a base/index/offset).

I have had a look at the document "Using and Porting GNU CC" and there seems
to be no mode that I can use for such a pointer e.g. SImode, PDImode,
BLKmode etc.

Is it possible to do this and, even better, has anyone done it?

Any help or suggestions would be very useful (even if the answer is "it
can't be done").
--
= Martin G C Davies BSc CEng MBCS | Internet: mgcd@se.bel.alcatel.be
* Richard Daley Associates | Phone: (44) 1279 830 141