Re: syntax errors

gvcormac@plg.uwaterloo.ca (Gordon V. Cormack)
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 13:27:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax errors miles@minster.york.ac.uk (1995-02-20)
Re: syntax errors gvcormac@plg.uwaterloo.ca (1995-02-22)
Re: syntax errors jmccarty@spd.dsccc.com (1995-02-23)
Re: syntax errors epklell@kaepk1.ericsson.se (1995-02-27)
Re: syntax errors mikey@ontek.com (1995-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: gvcormac@plg.uwaterloo.ca (Gordon V. Cormack)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 13:27:38 GMT

<miles@minster.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hello. Could anyone point me to work done on locating (and presenting)
>syntax errors? ...

Richter, "Noncorrecting syntax error recovery," TOPLAS 7:3 (1986)

Cormack, "An LR substring parser for noncorrecting syntax error recovery,"
                  SIGPLAN Notices 24:7 (PLDI conference), (1989).
                  http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~gvcormac/manuscripts/suffix.ps.gz

Rekers, "Substring parsing for arbitrary context-free grammars,"
SIGPLAN Not. 26:5 (1991).

Bates & Lavie, "Recognizing substrings of LR(k) languages in linear time,"
TOPLAS 16:3 (1994)

Grune & Jacobs, "Parsing Techniques," Ellis Horwood (1990).
                    ISBN: 0-13-6541431-6

It appears to me that the general method outlined by Richter and expanded
by yours truly might be appropriate. Rekers uses Tomita's parser for
substrings, so that might be dear to your natural-language heart. I don't
see any reason why you couldn't use Earley's algorithm either. I've never
heard of a chart parser, but if it recognizes substrings I'd think it would
do the trick. [I bet there are lots of compilers types who have never
heard of a chart parser - please educate us.]
--
Gordon V. Cormack CS Dept, University of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
gvcormac@plg.uwaterloo.ca