syntax errors

miles@minster.york.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:39:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax errors miles@minster.york.ac.uk (1995-02-20)
Re: syntax errors gvcormac@plg.uwaterloo.ca (1995-02-22)
Re: syntax errors jmccarty@spd.dsccc.com (1995-02-23)
Re: syntax errors epklell@kaepk1.ericsson.se (1995-02-27)
Re: syntax errors mikey@ontek.com (1995-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: miles@minster.york.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:39:22 GMT

Hello. Could anyone point me to work done on locating (and presenting)
syntax errors? I'm designing a system for engineers to enter requirement
statements in a controlled natural language, but want some sort of way of
informing them when they deviate from the syntax. This problem must be
similar to what a compiler writer faces when saying that an expression is
badly formed. I know that the information available to the system about
the error depends upon the actual parser used (eg. LR = correct prefix
property and so will stop straight away; a chart parser will give all
possible substrings) and suspect that there might be a link between what
should be presented and the choice of parser.

thanks -if there is sufficent interest I'll summarise.

Miles

miles@minster.york.ac.uk
[There used to be a fair amount of work on syntax directed editors that knew
the syntax of the language and wouldn't let you write a syntactically invalid
program. I found them extremely annoying because the way you write stuff