Re: object/load module formats

jprice@cadev5.intel.com (Jeff Price )
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 22:44:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
object/load module formats shaun@rdc31.std.com (Shaun Wilkinson) (1994-02-15)
object/load module formats ssimmons@convex.com (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats geoff@fcca.csi.com (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats jprice@cadev5.intel.com (1994-02-19)
Re: object/load module formats brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (1994-02-20)
Re: object/load module formats rfg@netcom.com (1994-02-24)
Re: object/load module formats meissner@osf.org (1994-03-02)
Re: object/load module formats rfg@netcom.com (1994-03-12)
Re: object/load module formats zstern@adobe.com (1994-03-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jprice@cadev5.intel.com (Jeff Price )
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 1994 22:44:04 GMT

>[COFF is the format used by SVRx for x<4. I don't think anyone is using it
>for new projects. I'm not aware of any books on linking and loading, so I'm
>planning to write one later this year. -John]

I saw such a book many years ago in the S.F. State library, it's name was
something like "Assemblers, Linkers, and Loaders". Sorry I don't have
more details.

Also, for the EE who wants to write a simple expression calculator, I
recommend "Writing Interactive Compilers and Interpreters" by P.J. Brown,
John Wiley & Sons, 1979. It's heavy on practical stuff, light on theory,
just right for dabblers.

jprice@scdt.intel.com
[I found several oldish books on assemblers and linkers, but they all seemed
to be 90% assembler and 10% linker. On another note, a correspondent pointed
out that AIX still uses a version of COFF, so it's far from dead. -John]