Re: Language to bootstrap compiler?

cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Mon, 19 Jul 1993 16:15:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language to bootstrap compiler? winters@access.digex.net (1993-07-11)
Re: Language to bootstrap compiler? cliffc@rice.edu (1993-07-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 16:15:39 GMT

winters@access.digex.net (Michael Winters) writes:
      I have come up with the idea, although I doubt it is very original, to try
      and bootstrap a language using FORTH.
      Has anyone had experience with implementing compilers or interpreters in
      FORTH, instead of writing, for example, a PASCAL compiler, in C?

Well, I've had extensive experience writing Forth systems (although not as
extensive as Charles Moore's!), and other languages in Forth. I'd say
that today there are better alternatives than Forth for all but the
simplest languages (10 years ago I would not say this).

I personally am using C++ the guts for my latest compiler. Caveat: it's a
research tool (i.e. not a production compiler). Check out the Borland C++
programming environment, it's very nice.

Cliff
--
cliffc@cs.rice.edu, Massively Scalar Compiler Group