Re: easy LALR code

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Thu, 20 May 1993 21:16:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
easy LALR code goer@midway.uchicago.edu (1993-05-11)
Re: easy LALR code lmcropa@noah.ericsson.se (1993-05-15)
Re: easy LALR code salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-05-18)
Re: easy LALR code kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (1993-05-19)
Re: easy LALR code henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-05-20)
Re: easy LALR code salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-05-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 21:16:30 GMT

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon) writes:
>If you are looking for a clear description of a highly efficient, but
>complex algorithm for LALR parser generation, check out Tremblay and
>Sorenson "The Theory and Practice of Compiler Writing" ...

The clearest description of how to build an LALR parser that I ever saw
was the Aho&Johnson paper in the June 1974 ACM Computing Surveys, which
tells you how yacc works. I don't remember how it compares to Tremblay
and Sorenson's book -- my copy of T&S isn't handy -- but I will say that
it was clearer than Tremblay and Sorenson's lectures on the subject in
the days when the book was being written. :-)
--
Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology, henry@zoo.toronto.edu utzoo!henry