Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language)

Alain.Callebaut@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Alain Callebaut)
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 10:12:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-06)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) purtilo@cs.umd.edu (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) dyer@airplane.sharebase.com (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) andrewb@cs.washington.edu (1993-01-09)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) axs@cs.bham.ac.uk (1993-01-13)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) ludemann@quintus.com (Peter Ludemann) (1993-01-22)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) Alain.Callebaut@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1993-01-25)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) gym@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Matthews) (1993-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Alain.Callebaut@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Alain Callebaut)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 10:12:25 GMT

Peter Ludemann writes :
> Two Prolog implementations that have good foreign language interfaces are
> IBM Prolog (CMS, MVS, OS/2) and Quintus Prolog (Unix, DOS). No doubt
> there are others.

Sure, there are !
Maybe you forgot the Prolog review that was published in AI Expert of
January 1991 (page 45-50 for the SPARC Prolog systems).

For years now, ProLog by BIM has had an extremely flexible and advanced
interface between Prolog and other languages, including C, Pascal and
Fortran. It enabled us to write interfaces to windowing systems and data
bases. Our very first SunView interface (dating from the beginning of
SunView itself), was quite complete, and we did not need any tricks to
bypass shortcomings of the provided interface facilities. The
backtracking example you mention, will be solved much cleaner and with
less burden for the programmer in the forthcoming release of ProLog by
BIM.

Alain Callebaut
BIM - ProLog Development
ac@sunbim.be