Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language)

axs@cs.bham.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman)
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 01:51:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assessing a language nharvey@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (1993-01-06)
Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-06)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) purtilo@cs.umd.edu (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) dyer@airplane.sharebase.com (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) andrewb@cs.washington.edu (1993-01-09)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) axs@cs.bham.ac.uk (1993-01-13)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) ludemann@quintus.com (Peter Ludemann) (1993-01-22)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) Alain.Callebaut@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1993-01-25)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) gym@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Matthews) (1993-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.compilers
From: axs@cs.bham.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 01:51:25 GMT

eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (Jonathan Eifrig) wrote

dyer@airplane.sharebase.com (Scot Dyer) writes:
> Some new AI* languages (such as POP-11 and Trilogy) take this approach.
> Both supply the programmer with the tools of the Functional,
> Relational/Logical and Imperative programming paradigms. To the best of
> my knowledge an object-oriented mix-and-match does not yet exist.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Poplog incorporates Pop-11, Prolog,
Common lisp and ML, (users can select any subset of these languages), and
provides tools for extending these languages or implementing additional
languages. Those tools can be and have been used for object-oriented
extensions.

For example CLOS can be added to Common Lisp. Integral Solutions Ltd sell
a package called Flex (originally implemented by Logic Programming
Associates) that extends Poplog Prolog with object oriented facilities.
And Poplog Pop-11 has for some time included in its library at least two
different object-oriented extensions (using message sending, multiple
inheritance, and various other features), and will shortly have yet
another, based on multi-methods (like CLOS) rather than message sending
(like Smalltalk).

(For more on Pop-11 and Poplog see comp.lang.pop)

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman,
School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, England