Re: lower case

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Sun, 13 Nov 2022 16:30:39 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-10)
Re: lower case anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2022-11-12)
Re: lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-12)
Re: lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 16:30:39 -0800 (PST)

On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 2:41:05 PM UTC-8, gah4 wrote:

(snip)

> The 2741 uses the IBM Selectric typewriter as its print mechanism, so
> is naturally lower case. Wylbur has a mode where all input data is converted
> to upper case (for programs), and a mode when it isn't (for letter writing).

(and our moderator noted)

> [We used 2741 terminals with TSS/360 also. I think it did something
> similar, normally mapping lower to upper case. -John]

The 2741 is interesting. It is not EBCDIC, but has a code based on the
way the Selectric typewriter works. Among others, the SHIFT key
rotates the ball 1/2 turn. The code has shift and unshift characters,
and then other characters depend on the current shift state.

And some systems, when they were otherwise too busy, send shift
and unshift about every second.

But I don't know what terminal K&R had at the time of C.
[They used a model 37 Teletype, which had upper and lower
case and ran at 15cps. They were not very common outside
of the Bell System iteslf. They also had model 33 and 35
which is why the early Unix tty drivers had a way to fake
lower case input. -John]