lower case

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:57:47 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-10)
Re: lower case anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2022-11-12)
Re: lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-12)
Re: lower case gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:57:47 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 11 Nov 2022 14:03:08 EST

  I hope this isn't too far off topic.

I am wondering about the history of lower case letters
in programming languages, and especially about case
sensitive languages.

The first I know about is C. Ones I knew before then
didn't allow then at all, though it might be that some DEC
compilers would ignore case.
[This is an interesting question. The IBM 7030 Stretch had
an upper/lower case character set, although I don't know how
much software used it. Algol60 was specified in lower case
but most implementations were upper case only. I can't think
of a language before C that was actually implemented in lower
case but I wouldn't count on it being the first. -John]