Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction.

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:52:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. ryan.mccoskrie@gmail.com (Ryan McCoskrie) (2009-04-12)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. nmh@T3X.ORG (Nils M Holm) (2009-04-14)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-04-17)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. dwnewsgroups@tiscali.co.uk (Dean Wakerley) (2009-04-18)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. lkrupp@indra.com (Louis Krupp) (2009-04-19)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2009-04-20)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. jthorn@astro.indiana.edu (Jonathan Thornburg) (2009-04-20)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-04-21)
Re: Having trouble finding texts on compiler construction. bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (2009-04-22)

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:52:50 -0400
Posted-Date: 19 Apr 2009 08:00:53 EDT

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:21:41 +1200, Ryan McCoskrie
<ryan.mccoskrie@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to find some good text on compiler construction that don't
>explain things in terms of visual information (trees etcetera) and
>maths(which boils down to processing visual information).
>
>The reason to this is that I have a rare disability called NLD (Non-verbal
>Learning Disorder) which essentially means that the only parts of my brain
>that act as they should are the ones that deal with interpreting speech.

Sorry to hear that.

>I have tried reading the dragon book but most of it revolved around
>the diagrams. Does anyone know of a text that I could follow? I have
>found a couple of lex and yacc tutorials that have got me to some
>distance but not beyond making interpreters for calculators.

There are some books that have reasonably good discussions - but as
you have already discovered, most are centered around their figures
and examples. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that really have
stand-alone discussions.

You might try looking up some of the papers cited in your books. Many
beginners find learning from academic papers to be difficult because
most papers conspicuously lack examples, but you might have more luck.

George