Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download

Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
5 Nov 2006 23:37:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-09-28)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2006-10-08)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-10-10)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download kenrose@nc-sys.com (Ken Rose) (2006-10-11)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 2006 23:37:16 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Nov 2006 23:37:16 EST

Ken Rose wrote:
> Richard Pennington wrote:
>> Interesting. What did you think of the package? I've been looking at it
>> for a couple of weeks and am pretty impressed. I haven't tried to do
>> anything *big* with it yet, though.
>
> I experimented with it quite a bit back in '98 or so, after it was
> announced here, and I agree that it's an impressive package. It has a
> couple of shortcomings, though. It doesn't have any obvious way of
> dealing with feedback between the parser and the lexer, for things like
> C typedefs. I emailed with Lex Augusteijn about it back then, and it
> seems like he had a reasonable solution, but I don't remember what it
> was, and I can't find the email. I'll keep looking.
>
>> Any problems with the MSC port? I'm looking at a Cygwin port and it
>> looks pretty straightforward, unless I'm missing something.
>
> It was easy to make it use Mingw32 to generate a Windows executable on
> Linux. I may still have those changes, which were probably to version 7.1.
>
> Thanks for reminding me about it,

OK. I've been working with this for several weeks and am still
impressed. Today I made a change the I'm sure Lex would frown upon: I
made types local to a spec unit, instead of the default global to a
program. This helps me with multiple Front grammars in a single
compiler.

I know there was a good reason to make types global, but I can't
figure it out. I'd love to be able to contact Lex. Anyone have an
email address? (OK, I'll admit I'm hoping he is lurking here, hence
the obscure reference to global types above.)

-Rich