Elegant compiler generator available for download

Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
28 Sep 2006 22:52:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-09-28)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2006-10-08)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-10-10)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download kenrose@nc-sys.com (Ken Rose) (2006-10-11)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Sep 2006 22:52:45 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Sep 2006 22:52:45 EDT

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a tool to draw a railroad
syntax diagram and I stumbled on the Diagrams program in the Elegant
tool suite. It converts BNF to railroad diagrams.

http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/syst_softw/elegant/

I googled around for other Elegant information and it seems that after
the initial public release, not much has been going on. There is a
sourceforge site for the Front component, but I couldn't find anything
else.

http://front.sourceforge.net/

Diagrams worked well for me but I was intrigued by Elegant. I had a
few hiccups in building Elegant so I decided to archive the changes
and put them up for download.

I'm calling this version 7.2.1 because it has only very minor changes
from the last public release by Philips, 7.2.

For now, the suite is available only as a source download using
subversive, here's the README file:

RELEASE INSTALLATION

Checkout a copy of the tagged release using subversion:

svn checkout \
        http://pennington.ms/svn/elegant/tags/_RELEASE_7-2-1 elegant

The "elegant" at the end of the line above is the directory name that will
hold the checked out sources.

Set environment variable UNAME to one of (HP-UX Linux IRIX64 SunOS MINGW32)
This release has been tested only on Linux.

      cd elegant
      ./scripts/install_c
      autoconf
      make