Re: Refactoring a "runtime" language

"Alex McDonald" <alex_mcd@btopenworld.com>
22 Jan 2004 23:26:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Refactoring a "runtime" language bbcoupe@hotmail.com (2004-01-16)
Re: Refactoring a "runtime" language alex_mcd@btopenworld.com (Alex McDonald) (2004-01-17)
Re: Refactoring a "runtime" language bbcoupe@hotmail.com (2004-01-18)
Re: Refactoring a "runtime" language cttl@users.sourceforge.net (2004-01-22)
Re: Refactoring a "runtime" language alex_mcd@btopenworld.com (Alex McDonald) (2004-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Alex McDonald" <alex_mcd@btopenworld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:26:38 -0500
Posted-Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:26:38 EST

"Nano Newbie" <bbcoupe@hotmail.com> wrote
> Thanks for that information, however when I select the tool I believe
> I am still going to require some "common knowledge", for example,
> writing a lexer and parser for the existing "scripting" language in
> use (actually refactoring it), standard algorithms for then executing
> the resulting "byte code", such as assigning memory, executing the
> user defined procedures written by the end user, etc. etc.
>
> I need resources to do this... my problem is I don't know where to
> start really and I am trying to leverage from the expertise here to
> point me in the right direction. A book on client/server architecture
> will help in some respect, but isn't going to give me anywhere near
> the information I need to even get started.

Sorry, I thought by "refactoring" you meant upgrading (and possibly
improving) an existing VB program with the intention of moving it to
VB.Net. You did say "I believe the idea is to clean it up with a view
to moving to VB.NET later". "Believing" is a poor substitute for a
specific brief and a high level understanding of the requirement. You
really don't want to waste several hundred man-hours based on a hunch.

I think you're miles off the point of decision about a specific tool
or implementation method. Can you explain where you'd like to be with
this, what "refactoring" is, and why "refactoring" is needed?

Sorry, this is possibly getting OT. Moderator, is there another ng that you
could advise?
--
Regards
Alex McDonald