Re: Regular Expression -> NFA -> Minimal DFA

neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami)
16 Feb 2002 01:11:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular Expression -> NFA -> Minimal DFA rmgarnet@artsci.wustl.edu (Roman Garnett) (2002-02-06)
Re: Regular Expression -> NFA -> Minimal DFA neelk@alum.mit.edu (2002-02-16)
Re: Regular Expression -> NFA -> Minimal DFA rz1@stud.mw.tu-muenchen.de (Robert Zierer) (2002-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: neelk@alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:11:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Feb 2002 01:11:48 EST

On 6 Feb 2002 23:41:07 -0500, Roman Garnett <rmgarnet@artsci.wustl.edu>
wrote:

> I'm working on a project for my finite automata class, and I'm in
> need of a program to take a regular expression as input, and return
> an NFA accepting the corresponding language, and the minimal DFA
> accepting the language. We're studying the relationship between the
> number of states in the two automata. The only utility I've found
> stresses a graphical interface that is not important to me. Can
> anyone lead me in the right direction?

I have an OCaml program that can take an RE and can build an NFA
and minimal DFA from it. I wrote it mostly to see if Brzozowski's
FA minimization algorithm really works. (The algorithm is a one
liner, and kind of amazing. :)

I'd be happy to share it with you, or however much I can without
violating your academic conduct policy.

Neel