Re: Language best suited for writing compilers

"Daniel C. Wang" <danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu>
4 Jan 2002 00:09:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language best suited for writing compilers devs@usa.net (2002-01-03)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers pfroehli@ics.uci.edu (Peter H. Froehlich) (2002-01-04)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2002-01-04)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2002-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Daniel C. Wang" <danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jan 2002 00:09:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Jan 2002 00:09:49 EST

devs@usa.net (devs) writes:
{stuff deleted}
> I Am More Inclined Towards Java Or Scheme. Are There Good Compiler
> Construction Systems Available For These Languages? Due To Time
> Constraints, I Would Like To Minimize The Learning Curve And Grunge
> Work As Much As Possible.

The answer is any language that supports algebraic datatypes and pattern
matching. An ML variant like OCaml or SML. Having just spent the last few
months writing a compiler in Java. I dearly miss all the features and
programming style of algebraic datatypes. Both SML and OCaml have decent
parser generators.

    http://wwww.standardml.org and http://pauillac.inria.fr/caml

Alternatively you can try something like...
    http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/94-10-139
or
  http://www.research.att.com/projects/cyclone/

You will be pulling your hair out without algebraic datatypes.