Re: Language best suited for writing compilers

"Peter H. Froehlich" <pfroehli@ics.uci.edu>
4 Jan 2002 00:08:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language best suited for writing compilers devs@usa.net (2002-01-03)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers pfroehli@ics.uci.edu (Peter H. Froehlich) (2002-01-04)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2002-01-04)
Re: Language best suited for writing compilers vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2002-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Peter H. Froehlich" <pfroehli@ics.uci.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jan 2002 00:08:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Jan 2002 00:08:24 EST

Hi!

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 12:41 , devs wrote:

> I Am More Inclined Towards Java Or Scheme. Are There Good Compiler
> Construction Systems Available For These Languages? Due To Time
> Constraints, I Would Like To Minimize The Learning Curve And Grunge
> Work As Much As Possible.
>
> [Depends on what your goals are. Scheme is a wonderful language,
> but it's
> hard to package up a Scheme program the way you can a C program. -John]

For quickly hacking up a compiler I had a quite nice experience
with Python. There are also tools, e.g. SPARK, that help you with
parsing and lots of other tasks. However, if you need speed, Python
might not be a good idea. One of the drawbacks is that Python is
dynamically typed, so you can not express as many constraints as
you would often like, e.g. for the AST.

Just my $0.02,
Peter
--