Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called?

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
26 Oct 2000 02:52:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-22)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca johan.boule@online.fr (Johan Boulé) (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-26)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca support@quartus.net (Neal Bridges) (2000-11-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Oct 2000 02:52:53 -0400

"Parzival" <parz@home.com> schreibt:

>(Not Java VMs with just-in-time compiling, as in that kind of
>framework, compilation of source code is a separate step to executing
>the byte code with the Java VM.)

Any platform independent IL requires or suggests, that the
intermediate code could or should be translated into native
instructions before actual execution. It's only a matter of
definition of the IL's VM, how (un)restricted it is. More important
seems to me, whether the IL instructions can or should be compiled one
by one, or whether the IL can describe more abstract processes, which
allow to treat multiple IL instructions as the description of a
framework, which can be translated entirely and very freely into
appropriate sequneces of native instructions. Perhaps it's just the
difference between instructions and statements, which distinguishes a
general IL from a platform dependent one.

I just remember one of the first definitions of AI: artificial
intelligence exists if you cannot determine, whether you interact with
a human or with a program. Accordingly I'd state, that a general IL
will not allow you to determine the language and the platform, from/on
which the source code of an executable module was compiled.

Of course some restrictions exist, in detail with string handling and
I/O, which are traditionally based on language specific models. But I
think that even these functions can be translated into a more general
API, which allows to freely mix multiple language specific models.

DoDi