Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called?

"Parzival" <parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com>
23 Oct 2000 21:49:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-22)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca johan.boule@online.fr (Johan Boulé) (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be c rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-10-26)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-26)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca support@quartus.net (Neal Bridges) (2000-11-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Parzival" <parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Oct 2000 21:49:24 -0400

I think that term "Compile and go" is strongly associated with the
70's student batch compilers, like Watfor (for those of us that
remember.) While the dominant model for current "native code"
compilers are still essentially "compile, link and go", interpreter
systems such as Perl and Python are not at all like the old batch
"compile and go" systems, in that they are embeddable, dynamically
extensible, and their type meta-systems are available at run time.
The Watfor and like systems were essentially sub-hosted batch
operating system environments. I don't just want a term to express
"this is a a compiler that doesn't use or need a linker and loader".

The kind of system I want to refer to or associate with this term
would be, say the various Oberon or Black Box Component Pascal
systems. (Not Java VMs with just-in-time compiling, as in that kind of
framework, compilation of source code is a separate step to executing
the byte code with the Java VM.)

I am looking for a compact term that expresses the noun form of a
verb, as in "the interpreter interpreted my program". I don't think
that "the compile'n-goer compiled'n-went my program" makes the
grade. As far as I can tell, a new term is needed, and I am interested
in creative suggestions.

- Parzival