Re: loops in bison

Chris F Clark <cfc@world.std.com>
13 Aug 2000 18:52:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
loops in bison jewell@willowglen.ab.ca (Aaron Jewell) (2000-08-04)
Re: loops in bison cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-08-05)
Re: loops in bison jewell@willowglen.ab.ca (Aaron Jewell) (2000-08-10)
Re: loops in bison cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@world.std.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Aug 2000 18:52:57 -0400

Aaron Jewell <jewell@willowglen.ab.ca> asked:
> I am curious though.. what is this parser generator that will build an
> AST for me and where can I find it?

There are actually numerous ones. I believe almost every one listed
in the compiler-compiler list posted by Langmack will generate AST's.
Certainly, the list includes ANTLR, Cocktail, JavaCC (using either JTB
or JJtree), PCCTS, RDB, and Yacc++.

> Almost immediately after posting my original question I did decide to
> use a tree in the manner described (after following someone's advice
> to look over the ksh code) and managed to throw one together over the
> weekend (its very small and simple language).

Yes, part of the point of the article was that one can even build AST
trees by hand and it is still worthwhile doing so. The only advantage
to an AST generated by a tool is that it is tied to the grammar and
thus when the grammar gets updated so does the tree. That's a big
advantage in my book. However, I will not dispute those who differ.

Hope this helps,
-Chris

3 Proctor Street voice : (508) 435-5016
Hopkinton, MA 01748 USA fax : (508) 435-4847 (24 hours)