Re: Simple Debugger Design

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de>
14 Jun 2000 12:43:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Simple Debugger Design lojedaortiz@interlink.com.ar (Nicolás) (2000-06-10)
Re: Simple Debugger Design joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-06-14)
Re: Simple Debugger Design joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jun 2000 12:43:36 -0400

Nicolás <lojedaortiz@interlink.com.ar> wrote:
> I want to make a source level debugger (that is, assembler source),
> but I want it to be totally independant from the source file (ie: if
> it can't find the src file, it should dissasamble the object file, and
> show that) ...

You should include symbolic names and comments in the object code.

Other than that, I can't tell you much. It doesn't seem to be a very
difficult problem though.

Regards,
Joachim
[The hard parts are tracking what object code corresponds to what source
code, particularly after optimization that rearrangs the code, and keeping
enough info to prettyprint data structures. -John]