Re: Help my understanding of compiled code

mwh@gradin.cis.upenn.edu (Michael Hicks)
18 Nov 1999 02:44:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help my understanding of compiled code nerkul@my-deja.com (1999-11-09)
Re: Help my understanding of compiled code ilya@math.ohio-state.edu (1999-11-16)
Re: Help my understanding of compiled code adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-16)
Re: Help my understanding of compiled code christian.sell@netcologne.de (Christian Sell) (1999-11-16)
Re: Help my understanding of compiled code mwh@gradin.cis.upenn.edu (1999-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mwh@gradin.cis.upenn.edu (Michael Hicks)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Nov 1999 02:44:32 -0500

Alan Donovan (adonovan@imerge.co.uk) wrote:
: If you want to look at one, find a Windows box, and invoke Quick View
: on an file of type .exe or .dll -- this will show the COFF header and
: some other windowsy things.

On UNIXes, or on Windows with a GNU compatibility library like Cygwin,
you can use objdump to examine the contents of executable and
relocatable object files. They will show things like the section
headers, the disassembled code in the .text segment, etc.

: Search the web for ELF or COFF and you're bound to find something.

A recent post to this newsgroup referred to John R. Levine's book,
entitled "Linkers and Loaders." I just bought it, and it does a fine
job of explaining the ins and outs of object files, how things are
linked, Windows vs. Unix, etc. Includes a description of ELF and
a.out (I believe this is the same as COFF).

On-line, a good source of references for ELF and PE formats is

http://x86.ddj.com/intel.doc/tools.htm

Mike
--
Michael Hicks
Ph.D. Candidate, the University of Pennsylvania