Re: question: pointer analysis?

David Gregg <dave@complang.tuwien.ac.at>
18 Nov 1999 02:43:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
question: pointer analysis? separk@pollux.usc.edu (1999-11-16)
Re: question: pointer analysis? dave@complang.tuwien.ac.at (David Gregg) (1999-11-18)
Re: question: pointer analysis? bayer@sdm.de (1999-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Gregg <dave@complang.tuwien.ac.at>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Nov 1999 02:43:19 -0500

separk wrote:
> Could anyone point out where I can find information about
> pointer analysis and their applications?

It depends on how much you need to know about it. Steve
Muchnick's book (Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation,
Morgan Kaufmann 1997) has a chapter on alias analysis, and that
might be a good place to start.

If you need to know more than that, unfortunately Muchnick's
references are rather old. When I last worked on the problem
a couple of years ago, there were several papers floating around
written by people like Barbara Ryder, Hemant Pande, Michael Burke,
William (?) Landi, Jeong Choi, Paul (?) Carini, Laurie Hendren,
Maryam Emami. A web search should bring up quite a few of them.

David.