Runtime mini-compiler for a formula

"Greg" <toombs@hurontel.on.ca>
16 Nov 1999 23:43:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Runtime mini-compiler for a formula toombs@hurontel.on.ca (Greg) (1999-11-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Greg" <toombs@hurontel.on.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Nov 1999 23:43:37 -0500

I am scraping together bits of code to make a mathematical formula
runtime mini compiler. What this will do, is take a string (with a
formula in it) as an argument, and initialize a class with information
as to evaluating the formula during run-time. The behaviour of the
first few steps of this compiler are very much like a normal language
compiler -- the only problem is that that part is not yet implemented.

I simply do not know where to start. I realize that I am a mere
programming amateur (more of a mathematician) but can efficiently code
in C when I know what I'm doing...

Here's an example. For a graphing program, the program would include
the above capability for interpreting the user's formula. If the user
entered the formula "x+(y-3)*9" to be graphed, I need to put that
string through the mini-compiler in order to get a set of
instructions, much like assembly language, that would look like:

1. Calculate y subtract 3
2. 9 times step one
3. x plus step two

All I need is a bit of code that can do the above. Maybe what I am
describing is a parser but the definition is cloudy in my mind.

Anyway, thankyou very much for reading.
Greg
toombs@hurontel.on.ca