Re: Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha)

ian@five-d.com (Ian Kemmish)
16 Nov 1999 23:41:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha) twk@unity.ncsu.edu (Tom Karches) (1999-11-09)
Re: Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha) fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-11-09)
Re: Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha) Bjorn.DeSutter@rug.ac.be (Bjorn De Sutter) (1999-11-09)
Re: Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha) ian@five-d.com (1999-11-16)
Re: Looking for disassembler for Digital Unix (Alpha) adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ian@five-d.com (Ian Kemmish)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Nov 1999 23:41:09 -0500

twk@unity.ncsu.edu says...
>I need to attempt to resurrect some code from an Alpha binary.
>
>When I do a "file" on the binary, here is what I get :
>
>COFF format alpha dynamically linked, demand paged executable or object
>module not stripped - version 3.11-2
>
>Any/all pointers to available disassemblers appreciated. Please email me
>directly with any responses.

Assuming you're talking about OSF/Digital UNIX/Comapq UNIX/whatever
and not NT, the compilers were originally written by some exiles from
mips, and come with all the same utilities, including pixie, the best
profiler in the business. In that case, the disassembler will be
called dis. dis -p foo bar will disassemble procedure foo in
executable bar. dis bar will disassemble all of the executable.

Ian Kemmish 18 Durham Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 8HZ, UK
ian@five-d.com Tel: +44 1767 601 361