Re: Incremental Compilation

Matthew Economou <xenophon@irtnog.org>
3 Nov 1999 21:46:05 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Incremental compilation whatis@gnu.ai.mit.edu (1992-01-23)
Re: Incremental compilation preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-01-23)
Re: Incremental compilation wright@gefion.cs.rice.edu (1992-01-23)
Re: Incremental compilation ltd@netcom.netcom.com (1992-01-24)
Incremental Compilation shure@sd.co.il (Alexander Rozenman) (1999-11-02)
Re: Incremental Compilation xenophon@irtnog.org (Matthew Economou) (1999-11-03)
Re: Incremental Compilation maratb@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Marat Boshernitsan) (1999-11-05)
Re: Incremental Compilation bowdidge@apple.com (Robert Bowdidge) (1999-11-16)
Re: Incremental Compilation jsgray@acm.org.nospam (Jan Gray) (1999-11-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Matthew Economou <xenophon@irtnog.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Nov 1999 21:46:05 -0500

        AR> Hi, I am looking for some sources about "Incremental
        AR> Compilation". There are some software products used it (as
        AR> Microsoft Compiler/Debugger, I guess).

In Lisp, "incremental compilation" refers to the ability to invoke the
compiler interactively (e.g. from the real-eval-print loop). Lisp's
compiler is actually part of the language (via the functions COMPILE
and COMPILE-FILE in Common Lisp), so one need not restart a running
Lisp image to compile & load new code into a program.

Examining the sources of Clisp, CMU CL, or GCL may give you a better
idea of how Lisp's compiler works. Basically, the compiler,
assembler, and dynamic linker are a part of the language's runtime
(although GCL calls out to the C compiler).