Re: compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture

gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
29 Oct 1999 02:34:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture dcc6hs@joinville.udesc.br (Henrique Seganfredo) (1999-10-28)
Re: compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture gneuner@dyn.com (1999-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Oct 1999 02:34:03 -0400

On 28 Oct 1999 02:06:23 -0400, "Henrique Seganfredo"
<dcc6hs@joinville.udesc.br> wrote:

>....the problem is that I have no idea on the minimum archictecture
>that my system should have (# of registers, stacks, etc....) to easier
>the task of doing or porting a compiler or interpreter to it....this
>way I could modify my existing microprocessor projects to acquire a
>nice cpu core for a possible high level approach to it....

If you're building your own hardware, a stack machine is one of the
easiest to create a compiler for. You should check out the virtual
machines specs for both Forth and Java and also check out the material
at

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~koopman/stack.html

Stack designs work well for slow RAM or designs with little memory.
Register machines quickly overwhelm them as RAM becomes plentiful and
speeds increase. But ... this is a learning exercise.

Good luck!

George Neuner
Dynamic Resolutions, Inc.