classification of a language -- not ({ww})

Linlist Leo <linlist@fudan.edu>
27 Oct 1999 14:28:44 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
classification of a language -- not ({ww}) linlist@fudan.edu (Linlist Leo) (1999-10-27)
Re: classification of a language -- not ({ww}) raugfer@uol.com.br (Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira) (1999-10-28)
Re: classification of a language -- not ({ww}) torbenm@diku.dk (1999-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Linlist Leo <linlist@fudan.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.theory
Date: 27 Oct 1999 14:28:44 -0400

I remember once a professor told me a wonderful method to derive
the following language.
{ x | x in (\sigma *) and x <> ww for any (w in \sigma *) }

Namely, it contains words that do not consist of 2 identical front and
hind parts. Now I forget how the grammer looked like and will
appreciate any information about it.

Beside, I also consider the question "Is this language Context Free?"

Surely {ww|w in (\sigma)*} is not context-free (i devised a context
sensitive grammar for it so i guess it is context sensitive). But the
context-free language is not closed for 'complementation' so we cannot
claim not({ww}) is not context-free. And I failed to disprove it by
pumping lemma, too.

BTW, is context sensitive language closed under 'complementation'?

Thanks in advance,

Linlist

--
Linlist Leo