Need a C compiler for a new processor.

"Guillaume Comeau" <gcome@cyberus.ca>
16 Oct 1999 02:05:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need a C compiler for a new processor. gcome@cyberus.ca (Guillaume Comeau) (1999-10-16)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (1999-10-17)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (1999-10-18)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1999-10-18)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. C.vanReeuwijk@twi.tudelft.nl (Kees van Reeuwijk) (1999-10-18)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. rpgurd@archelon.com (Preston Gurd) (1999-10-21)
Re: Need a C compiler for a new processor. mah@colorado.edu (Haibing Ma) (1999-10-27)

From: "Guillaume Comeau" <gcome@cyberus.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Oct 1999 02:05:41 -0400

Ok. Here it is:

1. I am in charge of writing a C compiler for a new 32-bit
processor. The processor itself is new, it uses an instruction set
different than any other processor.

2. I must support C, and there is no need for any library or
extension. All it must do is compile straight ANSI-C code.

3. I am looking for the shortest path solution. I was told a compiler
was a two man-year job, which is too long for my taste. I'd rather use
an existing C front-end and map the result into my instruction set if
at all possible.

4. There are lots of sites and posts pointing to GNU, which could be a
good start. However, it supports C++ which will complicate my work. I
also didn't find the processor-specific files (but I still have some
more digging to do).

Any suggestion, pointer or comment for someone who has been down that
road before would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Guillaume Comeau.
[It's probably easier to retarget lcc. It's a smaller compiler, and it
has a nice book to document it. See the FAQ. -John]