Re: keywords and identifiers..

Leif Leonhardy <delta-t@t-online.de>
27 Sep 1999 11:20:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
keywords and identifiers.. ash_nw@my-deja.com (1999-09-11)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. wmm@fastdial.net (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. world!cfc@uunet.uu.net (Chris F Clark) (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. webid@asi.fr (Armel) (1999-09-16)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. jerrold.leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1999-09-20)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. genew@shuswap.net (1999-09-24)
Re: keywords and identifiers.. delta-t@t-online.de (Leif Leonhardy) (1999-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Leif Leonhardy <delta-t@t-online.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Sep 1999 11:20:59 -0400

ash_nw@my-deja.com schrieb:
> languages in general. Are there languages which allow a keyword to be
> accepted as an identifier. I have familiarity with Pascal/C/C++/Java

John already answered the main question(s). In addition, you can write
lyrics or prosa in some functional languages because of less restricted
lexical (and open syntactical) structure, i.e. you have to analyze
context to even clearly distinguish identifiers ("variables") from
operators.

> I am going to modify an existing parser.

I wonder why you asked that - modifying an existing parser (for an
existing language?!). Following the rule of least astonishment, it is
not a good idea to extend a language to allow "keywords" as identifiers
if you planned that. (Though I think simplicity of parsing was the
reason to introduce "reserved words".)

Leif

P.S.: (Plain old) FORTRAN is nice! I would appreciate other
languages having LAYOUT structure!