Re: optimization and compilation speed

"Andy Johnson" <andyj@mc.com>
16 Sep 1999 01:59:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimization and compilation speed debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (1999-09-11)
Re: optimization and compilation speed andyj@mc.com (Andy Johnson) (1999-09-16)
Re: optimization and compilation speed roques@pond.sub.org (Christian von Roques) (1999-10-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Andy Johnson" <andyj@mc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Sep 1999 01:59:10 -0400

In the various talks that Bill Wulf used to give about the PQCC
(Production Quality Compiler Compiler) technology, he would talk about
the optimizer running in "negative time", due to the reduction in the
size of the IL, which was both (a) verbose, and (b) communicated
between compiler phases (of which there were many in PQCC) in ASCII.
This translation to/from internal binary to ASCII was itself an
expensive process, so there was a direct correlation between IL file
size and compile time. The papers date back to 1979-1980.

-AndyJ