Re: How write formal specifications?

Ian Elliott <ian@nomadix.demon.co.uk>
6 Sep 1999 11:54:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How write formal specifications? daniele.benegiamo@aleph.it (Daniele Benegiamo) (1999-09-05)
Re: How write formal specifications? ian@nomadix.demon.co.uk (Ian Elliott) (1999-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ian Elliott <ian@nomadix.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Sep 1999 11:54:32 -0400

<daniele.benegiamo@aleph.it> writes
>I would know what is the better (or at least the most used :) )
>formalism to write formal specifications for static and dynamic
>semantics of a language.
>
>I know that exists at least two notations: algebraic and with
>attribute grammar. Exists other notations? If so, where can I found
>informations about?

David A Watt in his "Programming Language Syntax and Semantics",
Prentice Hall International, 1991, ISBN: 0-13-726274-4 describes, as
well as syntax, three methods of semantics definition: Denotational,
Algebraic and a method developed by Peter Mosses and Watt himself
called Action Semantics. The latter was an attempt to make semantics
more intelligible and therefore more widely acceptable - I do not know
to what extent they succeeded.

Ian Elliott