Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_

"Andy Monat" <amonat@nospamemail.com>
23 Jul 1999 22:20:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ ast@halcyon.com (1999-06-27)
Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1999-07-01)
Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ amonat@nospamemail.com (Andy Monat) (1999-07-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Andy Monat" <amonat@nospamemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 1999 22:20:45 -0400

I read much of Morgan's book as part of a directed reading group with
several compiler researchers while I was a university student this
spring. Even though I had had a basic compiler course, covering much
of the classical material from the Dragon book, much of what Morgan
said was confusing. I don't think I would have been able to understand
it without expert help, or at least someone who knew the literature.

Morgan's book is, indeed, conceived as a design for a modern
optimizing compiler. It assumes that you can get a scanner and parser
and that the back end has all the interesting problems, and that to
get good code for a modern RISC machine relatively recent techniques
are required. Further, it is not a survey of all possible special
cases or alternatives, providing just one suggested way to put
together each part of a compiler.

Andy