Re: Question about GOTO syntax checking

jonathan_barker@my-deja.com
20 Jul 1999 01:10:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about GOTO syntax checking magnus.jansson@mbox319.swipnet.se (Magnus Jansson) (1999-07-14)
Re: Question about GOTO syntax checking rkrayhawk@aol.com (1999-07-14)
Re: Question about GOTO syntax checking thiadmer@compuphase.com (1999-07-19)
Re: Question about GOTO syntax checking cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-07-19)
Re: Question about GOTO syntax checking jonathan_barker@my-deja.com (1999-07-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jonathan_barker@my-deja.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jul 1999 01:10:05 -0400

    rkrayhawk@aol.com (RKRayhawk) wrote:
> GOTOs are offered as a programming instrument to be used with
> caution. It is up to the coder to take responsibility for the
> consequences. My notion here is that GOTOs are demanded by
> programmers. We could eliminate them, trying to get the world to
> accept the notion that they are bad, or 'old stuff' or 'too
> dangerous', insisting that folks use purely structural code
> everywhere.

Style is not the only reason to avoid GOTOs. I'm pretty sure that your
optimising compiler will be a lot happier if you avoid jumping into
loops for example. It seems to me that the contraints mentioned in the
original post to this thread would help to avoid this sort of
situation, and code may well run faster as a result.

Regards

Jonathan