Re: Specifying time limits in source code ?

David Chase <chase@world.std.com>
19 Jul 1999 01:14:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Specifying time limits in source code ? hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (1999-07-14)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? kgatlin@cs.ucsd.edu (KSG) (1999-07-19)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? dtruong@irisa.fr (Dan Truong) (1999-07-20)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-07-20)
Re: Specifying time limits in source code ? mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-07-21)

From: David Chase <chase@world.std.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jul 1999 01:14:25 -0400

hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl wrote:

> For the designer, it would be enough to be able to specify an upper
> time limit for some code, and the compiler should accept the program
> if it is able to produce code which meets the dead line.

> - Also, current processors do prefetching and out of order execution
> which is very unpredictable (this may be considered as a form of
> run-time optimization).

Cache misses are a big problem, too.

> Therefore
> Do these beasts exist ?
> Is there work being done on this kind of compilers ?
> Is it just a silly idea of mine ?

I would look for pointers from Richard Gerber's work; he's not the
only person working in this area, but it seems to me that his work is
likely to overlap your interests.

        http://www.cs.umd.edu/~rich/

I think this is an excellent topic to work on, and wish that I had the
time to do so myself. It was my impression, about five years ago,
that the people in the real-time field were getting by with the
software-tools equivalent of rocks and sticks, and that they had been
largely ignored by the program-analysis world, and vice-versa. That
is, then, it looked like there was plenty of low-hanging fruit; I
don't know if that fruit is still there, or if other people have
already snagged the easy stuff. I would beware of getting in too deep
in the area of analyzing exact performance of sequences of machine
instructions, unless that really appeals to you, because

(1) that is a mess, and it could change as fast as you can
        write your dissertation.

(2) you ought to be able to treat some of that as a subroutine;
        advanced optimizing compilers already figure that stuff out
        for scheduling purposes.
--
David Chase -- chase@naturalbridge.com
NaturalBridge LLC -- http://www.naturalbridge.com