Strength Reduction for Sparc v8 and others

Manuel Picard <picard@irisa.fr>
6 Jul 1999 12:05:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Strength Reduction for Sparc v8 and others picard@irisa.fr (Manuel Picard) (1999-07-06)
Re: Strength Reduction for Sparc v8 and others agramesh@sedona.ch.intel.com (1999-07-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Manuel Picard <picard@irisa.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Jul 1999 12:05:54 -0400

  Hello everybody ,

I have 2 questions to submit :

1) Does anyone knows where to get some informations on how GCC does
strength reduction for MUL/DIV operations, when multiplying/dividing
by a constant ?

I found an algorithm that performs the same reductions as GCC in the
better cases, (I mean low constant as Reg *5, Reg * 54,...) but
unfortunately, in the worse cases, GCC has twice less instructions
than me.

(Worse cases => Reg * or / 0x1010101010101010...1010 that leads to ~10
instructions for GCC and ~20 for me)

2) Where can I get extensive information on Sparc and how instructions
works
      (i.e. : Delay Slot, stalling of registers in some op., ...)
  Can anyone help ?
  --
  Manuel
[SPARC International sells manuals on-line at http://www.sparc.com. I