Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_

Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
1 Jul 1999 14:58:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ ast@halcyon.com (1999-06-27)
Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1999-07-01)
Re: opinions on _Building An Optimizing Compiler_ amonat@nospamemail.com (Andy Monat) (1999-07-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jul 1999 14:58:30 -0400

ast@halcyon.com wrote:

> Anyone read and/or have an opinion on Robert Morgan's book _Building
> An Optimizing Compiler_? I'm looking for something to followup the
> dragon book and, at only 300 pages, this one looks like it might be a
> nice appetizer before plowing through the 1000 pages of Muchnick.

    Although the book volume is small, this is not an appetizer. This is
practically description of Morgan's integral approach for building
optimizing compilers. The book contains very detail algorithms of all
passes of the proposed compiler back-end. Muchnick's book is rather
encyclopedia and can be considered as collection of articles.